For the April Biblical Studies Carnival I am featuring some articles and blog posts I found around the internet based on the four interests of this blog: Bible, theology, small groups, and leadership. I hope you learn and enjoy these posts as much as I did the past month.
- Acts 21 – James and the Law. An interesting blog post from Dr. Phil Long contrasting James and the Law with Paul. Worth a read!
- Philippians 2:5. A look at “think this” by Greek scholar, Bill Mounce.
- Jesus and the Just, Executed Criminal Typology in the Gospel of Mark.
- Plans for the NA29 and UBS6. Oh no! Another NA that I have to purchase! Santa please bring it!
- Jesus’ Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem: Chronological and Narrative Problems. I appreciate how Gary Greenburg doesn’t just point out problems, but he also provides a solution.
- Acts 24 – Who was Felix? One of my favorite Bible verse-by-verse blogs by Dr. Long.
- Book Review: Romans (ZECNT), Frank Thielman. A good book review by Spoiled Milks blog.
- Three Great Negotiations of Presbyterianism (Hodge). Little known fact: my grandmother was a PCUSA minister!
- Can We Believe God’s Word is True Because our Parents Told Us? Some solid points from the Canon Fodder blog.
- The Spread of the Gospel and the End of the World. The end of the world should be an encouraging thins. Some good points from my Dallas Theological Seminary friend, Aaron Massey.
- Regeneration: Spiritual Resurrection. An essential to the Christian faith.
- Five Ideas to Help Small Group Members Be More Present. I like this post cause it reminds us that groups are about community and about being with each other. His tips for prayer a solid too.
- What is “disciple.” Some good thoughts and definitions of “disciple” and “discipleship.”
- Five Takeaways from the Lobby Gathering. The Lobby Gathering is a great small groups conference held in California each year. I have never been to it, but have heard it is great!
- Top 10 Ways to Build a Culture of Celebration. More great tips from Mark Howell about how to lead your small groups ministry team effectively.
- Identifying and Recruiting New Leaders. Some great tips (in podcast format) for getting new leaders for your small groups.
- 3 Reasons Small Groups Leaders Need Humility. Roger Carr has been an acquaintance for a long time. He knows his stuff!
- Sermons Don’t Make Disciples. I agree with Allen White on this one. I see sermons as a launching pad for discipleship and a reference tool for discipleship, but they don’t make disciples.
- Creating Intentional Pathways to Small Groups. Some good thoughts and questions that might help small group pastors better connect people into groups.
- Five Ways to Foster Friendships in Small Groups. Developing friendships and fellowship in a small group can be difficult. This post helps new groups.
- A Summer Series Can Stunt Your Fall Launch. I read everything Allen White writes on small groups. Solid stuff!
- Seven Ways to Overcome Distraction and Do What Matters. Another great post from the Leadership Freak.
- New Leadership Books for April, 2019. The LeadershipNow blog shares the newest leadership books for the month.
- 4 Questions the Best Managers Ask to Energize Their Employees. Always great and simple tips from the Leadership Freak.
- Why Great Leaders Extend Grace. Good post I need to read over and over again as a reminder to me.
- A Must Read List for Growing Leaders. A good list, but I was surprised to see no John Maxwell books on his list.
UPCOMING BIBLICAL STUDIES CARNIVALS
- May 2019 (Due June 1) – Claude Mariottini @DrMariottini
- June 2019 (Due July 1) – HOST NEEDED
- July 2019 (Due August 1) – My Digital Seminary, Lindsay Kennedy @digitalseminary
- August 2016 (Due Sept 1) – Amateur Exegete, @amateurexegete
If you want to host a future carnival, email Phil Long (plong42 at gmail.com) or direct message him on Twitter (@plong42) to volunteer.