Today’s blog post is a brief explanation of the doctrines of anthropology and harmatology. This brief survey is based on the the Evangelical Free Church of America’s statement of faith which reads:
The Human Condition. Article #3. We believe that God created Adam and Eve in His image, but they sinned when tempted by Satan. In union with Adam, human beings are sinners by nature and by choice, alienated from God, and under His wrath. Only through God’s saving work in Jesus Christ can we be rescued, reconciled and renewed.
Photo Credit: “The Holy Scriptures in Picture and Story” by William Foster
I. ADAM AND EVE CREATED IN THE IMAGE OF GOD
Adam and Eve were created in the image of God (Gen 1:26-27); therefore they were like God and represented God (Pss 8:3-8). The presence of God’s image is show by the facts that humans have
- a mind/will/personality,
- the capacity to rule (Gen 1:26, 28; 2:19; Pss 8; Gen 22:5),
- spiritual/moral qualities (Gen 2:16-17; 3:22; Lev 11:45-46; Matt 5:48; Luke 3:38),
- capacity for relationships (Gen 1:26; 2:20-23; 3:8),
- personal social distinction, and
- an image that will be improved and made perfect (Col 3:10; Eph 2:14; 1 Cor 15:49; 1 John 3:2).